7 shots in downtown Orlando shooting. Gunman still at large, police say – Orlando Sentinel

Orlando Police say they are still searching for a suspect who shot seven people in downtown Orlando early Sunday morning after a large fight broke out.

The incident took place near Wall Street Plaza and Orange Avenue just after 2 am, when bars and clubs in the area were closing.

Six were transported to Orlando Regional Medical Center, and another victim one person went to AdventHealth on his or her own. All seven victims, however, were in stable condition, Orlando Police Chief Eric Smith said.

“At approximately 2:22 this morning, at Orange Avenue and Wall Street, a large fight broke out,” Smith said at a briefing. “One of the combatants pulled out a hand gun and fired into the crowd.”

“We don’t have a suspect at this time,” Smith said. “We’re still in the preliminary part of this investigation, so if anyone has any information please call us at 911 or get with Crimeline [1-800-423-TIPS)].”

Smith said OPD is also working with businesses in the area to recover any videos of the incident.

A three-minute video posted to social media shows dozens of people running on Orange Avenue after hearing several gunshots. A couple of minutes later, the video shows police tending to two people lying on the street in front of Wall Street Plaza.

OPD said they have increased security measures and resources in the area and are looking to further increase them soon.

breaking news

As it happens

Be the first to know with email alerts on important breaking stories from the Orlando Sentinel newsroom.

“At this time our officers are downtown. The area is safe, there is no further threat downtown,” Smith said.

Orlando Police close off part of Orange Avenue in downtown Orlando in the early morning of Sunday, July 31, following a shooting that injured seven people.  This image provided by the Orlando Sentinel's news partner, Spectrum News 13.

There have been several reports of violence in and around Orlando’s bar district over the past year, and Orlando’s city officials said they have plans to rein in its nightlife amid the spike in violence. The proposals call for security in private parking lots, new permits for businesses that stay open after midnight and the music to be turned up.

Orlando’s city council voted to approve the plans earlier in July as they try to get a grip on the downtown nightlife atmosphere, which includes more than 100 bars and nightclubs, which draw more than 15,000 who flood bars and spill into city streets on weekend nights.

In May, OPD responded to a shooting in the 300 block of West Church Street and Liberty Avenue intersection, where officers found a 24-year-old man suffering from a gunshot wound. The victim was rushed to Orlando Regional Medical Center and taken into the surgery in a critical but stable state.

Last Halloween, several people were injured in a pair of shootings amid holiday celebrations in downtown Orlando. One of the shootings, which injured four people, happened near North Orange Avenue and Wall Street. The other shooting, near Lake Eola, injured three people.

In May 2021, a military veteran was shot multiple times and killed after a fight about him walking through a downtown Orlando crowd. Joseph Torres, 34, was gunned down less than two hours after 16-year-old Tavyiah King was fatally shot at a Wawa on John Young Parkway in the west side of the city.

Cassie Armstrong contributed to this report.

1 thought on “7 shots in downtown Orlando shooting. Gunman still at large, police say – Orlando Sentinel”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.